This is my favorite dish when going out for Chinese so I read through a few recipes, changed and combined them to make it my own and something a little bit heathier. I’ve made it both by frying in oil and also in the air fryer, of course the actual fry is better but the air fryer is good alterative and another way to healthify it.
Prep Time 15 mins Cook time 30 mins
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 3 tablespoons low fat mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fat free condensed milk
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3-4 Egg whites
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Oil for frying or can make in the air fryer
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Heat 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Add sugar and stir, constantly, until golden and thickened. Add walnuts and gently toss to combine. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, honey and condensed milk; set aside.
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Working one at a time, dip the shrimp into the egg, then dredge in the cornstarch, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add the shrimp to the skillet, 8-10 at a time, and fry until evenly golden brown and crispy, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Or you can make it in 2 batches in the air fryer. Transfer to a wire rack
- In a sauté pan, combine shrimp and sauce mixture.
- Serve immediately, topped with walnuts.
- Great served over rice with your favorite veggie.