This was my first time making this and I’m sure as I make more of them I will find some new tricks but here’s how I made it this time around.
Serves as many as you want or need, this one was for about 50 people
Prep Time 4 hours
Fruit I used
- 4 cantaloupes
- 3 honey dews
- 3 seedless watermelons
- 3 packages strawberries
- 3 Pineapples
- Chocolate for dipping strawberries
- Metal Cookie Cutters ( any shapes I used flowers, hearts & butterfly’s)
Items needed for box
- Planter box
- Chalk board paint
- Wooden skewers
To Make the box
- Paint box with at least 3 coats for the chalk board paint.
- Once box it dry cram foam into box it should be a tight fit you can buy it in blocks and cut to fit or that make round one if you wanted to use a round pot. Really the Ideas are endless.
For the fruit
- For the Cantaloupe Honeydew and Watermelon cut into 1/2 thick rounds, use cookie cutters to cup out shapes (depending on the size of your fruit and cookie cutters you can get anywhere from 1-2 shoes our of each fruit)
- For fruit securers use a melon baller on cantaloupe and make some circles. (this will help keep the honeydew and watermelon from sliding down the skewers)
- For the pineapple cut off top and bottom ( not need to cut off outer skin since only using the center) cut into approx. 1/4 inch rounds. Cut center with cookie cutters. When you push the cutter through you need to really move it back and forth to cut it neatly (this was not easy)
- I also cut out some rounds with a melon baller with the honeydew and watermelon to use as decoration.
- Melt chocolate according to directions ( I used the melting chocolate that you can do in the microwave but any kind works) dip strawberries and place on wax paper and refrigerate until ready to use (put these on last)
- You can keep the fruit scraps and use for another time to just eat or make some sangria with it like I did.
- Cut skewers to different lengths and stick into the foam box.
- Place fruit on top of skewers using cantaloupe rounds to help watermelon and honeydew stay in place, you can also use it as decorative for flower centers as I did. I found the pineapple and cantaloupe held up on their own but you can use them if needed *MAKE SURE YOUR FRUIT IS REALLY COLD FOR THIS NOT FROZEN JUST AS COLD AS POSSBLE
- Once all that fruit is assembled put strawberries on skewers and place randomly in arrangement.
- Serve immediately. (you could probably make it and refrigerate it for a few hours if needed)